Sunday, January 1, 2012

My New Years Resolution




Well people....we all have new years resolutions. we all have plans and goals that we plan on, but usually do not fulfill. some people do great, others struggle. the question is what should i do? i could say that i want to be nicer to people, or do more service, look for ways to make others happy, blah, blah, blah. but guess what? In my church, and most churches we are taught to do this on a regular basis. I should not use the new year as a scape goat to say i will do that, i am going to do either way. that is who i am, that is how i was raised, and it is what i believe and know to be true. now what is a goal that i find realistic and potentially hard, but rewarding and possible? lets find out.


Back in highschool, i was a twig, skinny and athletic. I had one knee surgery, got through it and starting getting in shape again. had a second knee surgery, this one took me out. after this surgery, i did not play tennis my senior year, did not get in shape like usual, plus it was my senior year. did alot more goofing around then anything else. then it was off to college, with a freshman meal plan. oh boy, can you imagine? freshman year consisted of lack of sleep, some school, eating, energy drinks, and more eating. it is safe to say, i was gaining weight.


But what makes it even worse? eating wise at least. a 2 year church mission served in northern california. not only is there in-n-out burger joints everywhere, but we would have dinner every night with a different member of our church. and since we came over, it was a special occasion, so we got dessert as well. 7 days a week. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, these meals were a true blessing and sacrifice from our church members, and i am truly grateful for their gratitude and support of the missionary program in our church. the problem was, we ate alot, and usually mormon missionaries are on bikes. but throughout my two year mission, i spent about 22 months of it in a car. our areas were big, so biking did not make sense. So add that all together and who was once a 19 year old, 175 pounder, comes back 2 years later, a 21 year old 215 chunk.


It is not that i got super big, i got what one would call a "beer belly" but without drinking the beer. i still play sports, but i was lugging around a keg. i have gotten used to being a little overweight, and i do not mind teasing myself about it. When people talk about having muscles and in shape, i say, "who would want a 6 pack, when you could have a keg?"(as i rub my stomach) but this has gotten to the point of annoyance. I am not as healthy as i should be, i do not have the endurance i once had, and i dont like looking a chunky boy in a bathing suit. (see pictures above.) haha


my goal for 2012, specifically starting this winter hardcore, is to lose weight and get in shape. i am home this winter, working and taking one online class. my community has 4 recreation centers and workout gyms, i can eat alot healthier being with my family, (budget wise) and have time to get those things done.


Right now i weigh between 210 and 215 pounds. My goal by the end of winter is to be around 180 to 185. I want to exercise 5 days a week, cardio and lifting, along with swimming as well. I want to dedicate myself to getting healthy, eating healthy and building a routine and habits that will benefit me physically and spiritually.


I will need your help. please remind me via text, facebook, ect. i will assume that if you are teasing me about it, you are doing it out of love. i know i can do this and i want to. and i know i have the family and friends to support me in this.


Lets make this a good year, lets set good goals and lets accomplish them. Happy New Year everyone!

Curt


6 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! If you have questions about nutrition or healthy weight-loss, give me a call (720-670-7910). I did that stuff in school and would be more than happy to help out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. go Curt!! You have my full support and you will do awesome!!-Sarah

    ReplyDelete