Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Knee'd an Update?

Was that not an awesome way to title this post? Obviously, I am going to update you on the knee and surgery and everything.

I had surgery on November 8th. They went in and found that my acl was still intact, but was so loose that it was not functioning as it should, so they replaced it with a cadaver tissue. They also had to drill a new tunnel or hole into my leg bone to screw the new acl into. My medial meniscus was also completely ripped, so they had to trim out most of it. So I am without some pretty important padding in between my knee, but thats ok.

So surgery was on a thursday, they got me home that day and started me on a this knee mobilizer. Essentially it would bend my leg for me and get my acl working and functioning. That machine hurt like crap, but was a blessing at the same time. I tell you more about it below. But things were going well, then we hit a wall. That narcotics are really hard on you. Usually they can mess with your stomach  and slow down your digestion. Not to be gross, but I got constipated pretty bad. I was not able to use the bathroom for a few days, and after getting off the pain meds and taking laxatives, I finally started going, but I think that between the laxatives, back of bathroom usage and ibruprofen intake, my stomach was toast. I spent all saturday and night through to sunday throwing up and having horrible heartburn. Stomach flu sucks, but imagine not being able to hunch over a toilet to throw up because you cant bend or put pressure on your knee.... yeah it sucked. haha. But sunday morning I went to Urgent Care, got some nausea medicine and a bunch of antacids and meds to help with the acid reflux. Monday I started feeling good, but that was the weekend from Hell. No doubt about it. I felt pretty bad for my mom because there was not much she could do, but you could tell she wanted to do something. We just had to wait it out, and it sucked. But as always, life moves forward and things better and they did.

Its been almost two weeks since surgery. The goal was to be able to get my knee to bend past 90 degrees. I got it to 110 degrees! I can start to walk, with a slight limp because all my leg muscles are dead and real weak. I started physical therapy today and will continue to do it 2 to 3 times a week for the next 3 to 4 months. they have to take it a little slower because its the third revision on my knee, but the PT is awesome. I am excited to get my leg back to full strength and move forward.

As usual, this was an adventure, this was my third knee surgery, but it still brought new problems and situations. It is never the same twice. haha. but I can walk, I feel good and I am happy. Life is good and I am thankful for the blessings and experiences I have had through it. I continue to learn more about myself and about others through trials I am facing or experiencing and it is life changing. I am very thankful for it.

Enjoy the pictures below:

The first day of Physical Therapy. (the guy on the table to the right of me was David Jones, #54 from the Colorado Avalanche!)

Knee post surgery.(2 weeks post) 

My list of exercises to do 

Started with that chunk of a brace, and graduated to this small one for the next 6 weeks

And finally...no more of these crutches. They have been there through all 3 surgeries. considering having them gold plated and put above my fireplace one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment